Counting down to our 7th Anniversary!

Daisypath Next Anniversary PicDaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Friday, October 23, 2009

Recent Doctor Appointments

On Oct 2, Dave and I took Brody to his 12 month doctor appointment. He was just starting to walk a couple weeks before, and still a little unsteady. However, because of our long wait to get in a room, he insisted on walking around the entire waiting room, over and over. It was fun to watch him since he had never been able to do this at his previous appointments. I guess I am a little too sentimental, but every time we go to an appointment, I look for new things he is doing and am always amazed (once again) at how incredible God's perfect design is! =) The waiting room was FULL of parents and little ones and Brody pushed his way through all the feet and legs and bags as he walked around, and around, and around... Just as the other parents expected (I'm sure), Brody fell and knocked his head hard on the tile floor and proceeded to scream bloody murder. I felt horrible for him, but it's hard to keep a "walker" from walking! (Though we definitely tried by continually taking him outside and giving him a "tour" of all the plants and trees in the parking lot!) Oh well! It wasn't the first time, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. He was fine in about 5-7 minutes after Dave took him outside....  At least we were in a doctor's office so it could be treated right away had it been bad! =)



As you can see, he wanted DOWN! =)  PLEASE, MOMMY, LET ME WALK! 
(On a side note, I loved his outfit this particular day...that's actually why I was trying to hold him in this picture.)


When we finally got back to the room, he was NOT happy about getting measured, weighed, or temp taken.  He cried and fought much of the time with the poor nurse!  Had I known it would be his last time getting weighed on the baby scale, I certainly would have taken a picture!  (That's what I get for not taking pictures of EVERYTHING, isn't it?? lol!)  Anyway, I guess I will know in the future since he is only in his diaper in these pics...  His measurements were:  HEAD:  18 1/2" (75%tile--90th %tile @ 9mo), WEIGHT: 21 lbs 9 oz (30th %tile--50th %tile @ 9mo), HEIGHT:  29" (25th %tile--50th %tile @ 9mo).  As you can see he has dropped in all categories, but apparently it's nothing to worry about...


See, I'm all better....my mommy has me and she makes everything better. 


And so does my daddy.... (see my red mark on my forehead?  It's already starting to fade...)


While we waited he played on the table, walked back and forth, and pointed at things on the wall.  I love the murals in their office!  He was also pretty cranky and we had to take turns holding him.  I guess it was because it was past his nap time...



When Dr. Cockrell came in, he was NOT HAPPY!  Poor thing, he was so upset the ENTIRE exam...and this didn't even include his shots!!  I actually felt bad for Dr. Cockrell because it had to be VERY difficult to listen to his heart, look in his ears and throat, and feel his tummy, etc with him screaming so loudly!  Fortunately she has a sense of humor (and so do we) so we tried to make light of the situation or it would have been worse on everyone.  I really think Dave had the hardest time of anyone, however...Brody has him wrapped around his little finger!


Look at those tears!!! =(  We fed him snacks between the exam and his shots hoping to calm him down a little...he was so LOUD and I don't think Dave could have taken the heartache much longer...


...and, the snacks didn't work for as long as we thought they would....


This was after his shots.  It took three of us to hold him down. =(  I couldn't look, so I just held him and talked to him....  He looks so pitiful. 


Those poor baby's legs! 


Don't worry...we rewarded him for all the pain and torture.  We took him to Newk's for dinner and he enjoyed the entire grilled cheese sandwich!  Shots must have made him HUNGRY!  =)





Give me more, Daddy! Give me more! =)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Just about two weeks later we had to take him back to the doctor because he had a runny nose for about a week, was pretty cranky often during the day, and wasn't acting like himself.  After reading about all the H1N1 scares/deaths, and about all the friends/kids around here that had had the illness, I didn't want to risk anything so I asked Dave to go with me to the doctor on a Sunday (10/18) since we couldn't take Brody to the nursery at church anyway.  I KNEW the doctor wait would be long, but I thought it would only be about three hours...  boy was I wrong! =)  FOUR HOURS AND TWENTY MINUTES later, we left! Surprisingly, though, Brody was EXCELLENT!!!  Why is it that anytime you take a child to the doctor, all symptoms miraculously disappear and your child is happy as can be and the doctors/nurses think you are crazy?? Since we had a 3 hour wait just in the waiting room, we had to get creative on what to do with Brody....Mr. ACTIVE.  (Oh, and keep in mind, I am a germ-a-phobe, and we were sitting in the "sick kid" waiting room for 3 hours..............yes, I tried VERY hard not to think about all the germs that were being breathed out in there!!!)


He walked all over the place in the waiting room and made friends with another red-headed little boy when he wasn't outside being held while Daddy and I took turns walking him around.  He was SO HAPPY!!!  Many people made comments about his smile, laughs, and squeals.  This time, he had gained some stability, so he wasn't quite as wobbly as the last visit.  I didn't worry QUITE as much about him falling...just more about him getting the "sick bugs" from the other kids he was trying to play with! This picture was taken when most of the kids had already gone back to see the doctor, but originally there were at least 25 kids with their parents/siblings (and all but one had gotten there before us)!


He ate snacks in the waiting room for the first time.  His snack of choice was raisins.  He also got to eat his first chicken mcnugget from McDonald's for lunch.  No fries though...TRYING to keep him eating "healthy" foods as long as possible.  Do you know how much grease is in those nuggets??  I was quite appalled when I squeezed the grease out onto a napkin before I fed it to him!  YUCK!  Apple juice and milk were what he drank, and he was able to use his straw on both.  (You will see his friend, "Straw", in many pictures below....guess he is a trusty friend!)


I STILL cannot get over this picture!!!!!  I'm not sure why.  I guess it's because it shows just how big my baby boy is getting, but it still is amazing to me that he was able to STAND ON A SCALE! =)  WOW! He weighed in at 23 1/2 lbs (24 according to Dave, but he said the nurse wasn't reading it right.  Guess that Sports Management degree of his trumps her degree, huh? LOL!).  Also crazy that he gained 2 lbs in 2 weeks.  Dave said it was because he was fully clothed this time instead of in his birthday suit....guess he's right in this instance. =)


Since we had another hour wait in the patient room, we had to be creative again....Dave walked him around the office several times, and he played on the table.  He loves the mirror (always), so enjoyed smiling at himself....he is a cutie so I can see why he has such a big smile! =)


He walked back and forth....


...and talked with Daddy about the mural.


He wrestled Daddy while Daddy tried to rest (he was so tired, poor thing!).





And, he took pictures with his parents.  All with his trusty friend "Straw".


The best we could get with our wiggle worm who already hates cameras. Not sure why...........


He tried his first lollipop, too, and LOVED it! =)  It was root beer, so I'm not surprised.  Yum!

Turns out, he just had a virus that lasted a few more days, as well as ALMOST an ear infection.  Nothing that a little Neutrahist, Tylenol, ear meds, and TLC couldn't take care of!  WHEW!  That definitely put a worried momma at ease! =)  Oh, and he was PERFECT during his exam this time!  Wait, he was perfect the ENTIRE TIME this time! =)  We were so surprised and THANKFUL! =)  A happy baby=happy parents! =)

No comments: