Counting down to our 7th Anniversary!

Daisypath Next Anniversary PicDaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Louisiana Presidential Primaries

I can say I did my part--I VOTED in today's Presidential Primaries for Louisiana! =) Now, I am not certain that I helped anything, but at least I can say I exercised my rights as a US citizen. This is my first Primary to ever vote in. Apparently, this is not a big deal to most Shreveport citizens because according to the Shreveport Times, there is going to be a low turn-out for the Primaries today in Caddo Parish. "Part of the low turnout expected is blamed on the closed primary system, effectively banning Caddo Parish's 34-thousand independent and 'other party' voters from voting on the presidential candidates. Another reason for low turnout: Louisiana's Republican Party already announced that its 47-delegates will go to the party's convention uncommitted. And to compound the lack of excitement, Sen. John McCain has all but wrapped up the Republican nomination." I thought it was an interesting article, but made me VERY puzzled....maybe I am just dumb, but since the "Republican...delegates will go to the party's convention uncommited" does that mean that my vote really doesn't matter?? If you have any insight into this, please leave me a comment. I have never really been interested in politics up until the last few years, so I don't understand much of the jargon.....

NOTE: DAVE also got to go vote last night after he got off work and after we had dinner with some friends. He BARELY made it in time to vote. The polls closed at 8, and he got there with 3 minutes to spare!! WHEW! That makes this the first Primary for both of us to vote at. How cool!

UPDATE: According to the AP report on Sunday morning, "Huckabee also won the Louisiana primary, but fell short of 50 percent, the threshold necessary to pocket the 20 delegates that were available. Instead, they will be awarded at a state convention next weekend." Hopefully he does well! Among other interesting (yet not surprising) news about our state in the article: "Nearly complete Louisiana returns showed Obama with 57 percent of the vote, to 36 percent for the former first lady. As in his earlier Southern triumphs in Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina, Obama, a black man, rode a wave of African-American support to victory in Louisiana. Clinton won the white vote overwhelmingly." This is just a taste of Louisiana for you!

No comments: