Counting down to our 7th Anniversary!

Daisypath Next Anniversary PicDaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Three Doctor Appointments in 1 week!

On November 26, Brody had his 2 month appointment which meant SHOTS! =( Fortunately Mom and Liz had arrived in town the day before and were able to go with me because Dave had to work that morning so he could get off early for all the family that was coming into town. Everything went very well--Brody weighed in at 13 lbs. 4 oz. (little over 75th percentile), length was 23 inches (50%), and head measured 16.5 inches (90%). He was a little nervous and peed all over the table & floor which was a little humorous. =) Last time he peed all over the wall! Poor little guy! Our nurse was very sweet though and graciously cleaned it all up for us. Dr. Cockrell said everything looked great! =) The shots themselves were hard for me but I just looked away while holding his little arms while he screamed.... I know they are good for him so it's one of those times as a mom where I have to see him endure pain for his own good. Very DIFFICULT! It may be sad to say, but unfortunately I am getting used to his screaming like that so when he actually got his shots, he didn't sound much different than what he does at home when trying to go down for a nap..... He actually loved the oral roto virus vaccination....he wanted to suck the little container dry! After his shots he got his little bandaids and some loving from Mommy which he appreciated. It didn't take very long for him to calm down. He just slept for most of the day which is very uncommon for him, but he REALLY needed the rest before all the family got there anyway. All in all, it was a successful doctor's appointment considering it was a painful one for all involved! I'm so glad Mom and Liz were there to take my mind off the pain of the situation!!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
December 2 (last Tuesday) Brody had his cardiologist appointment. The day after he was born his pediatrician told us she heard a murmur in his heart (which I thought I had heard several times on the fetal monitor during delivery but was told it was just the way the sound waves were being captured on the machine....). She ordered an EKG and another test (maybe an ultrasound?) to determine what the cause of the murmur was. When Dr. Cockrell told me it was because he had a hole in his heart, my OWN heart started racing and I was pretty scared! No one wants to hear that their brand new (seemingly perfect) baby has a defect! She tried to assure me that it was probably nothing too bad, but I thought about it all day until the cardiologist came to tell us the results of the test. Dr. Keil reassured us that he had a common heart problem (a VSD-ventricular septal defect). This meant he had a tiny hole in his heart between the ventricles causing the murmur. Dr. Keil told us that Brody was to be treated like any other normal baby and that he could live to be 105 and play NFL football with no problems....this was a relief!! He would just need to see him at 2 months to see if it had closed up, and if not, then at 6 months, etc. So last Tuesday, Dave and I took him to his cardiologist appointment. Dr. Jackson saw him and after listening to his heart told us that he could still hear the murmur and needed to see if the hole had closed up. This required an ultrasound. Even though Brody had been extremely fussy the entire afternoon, he was OUT when it was time to do the ultrasound so he slept peacefully while they looked at his heart (I don't think the tech knew just how grateful she should be that he wasn't screaming and thrashing around....she DID ask if he was normally that calm and I had to tell her NO!). =) The results of this ultrasound were EXCELLENT! THE HOLE HAD CLOSED UP!!!! PRAISE GOD!!!!!!! Dave and I were so pleased we didn't have to take Brody back there! =) He will always have his murmur, but the hole is gone. What a relief!! =) After his appointment, they gave him a Christmas Garfield for being so good (Dr. Jackson said he couldn't find any chuckwagons for his little OU fan......and the TIGERS certainly would not do!).
Liz got her taste of what it was like at the LSU hostpital, however, and was not too enamored by what she experienced. She ended up leaving the cardiology department and waited in the main waiting area while we were with Brody--she couldn't take any more of watching the parents mistreat their children in the waiting room! I don't blame her!




We didn't tell people about his murmur and VSD when he was born because I didn't want to be constantly reminded about it and start worrying even more than I already was. I REALLY wanted to give it over to God and let Him take care of it because worrying never does anything good and it's one of my weaknesses. I also knew that Satan could use it to bring fear over me each time someone asked how Brody's heart was doing. I would have loved the prayer support from everyone, but in the end I realized that having just family pray for him was probably best for my situation. I'm so grateful that Brody's heart was healed and it reminded me again that God really IS in control and that the worrying just takes away from precious time that I could be spending with Brody and enjoying all his other healthy qualities! =)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

The very next day (Dec. 3) I had to take Brody to his regular doctor because his left eye was getting very matted and continually draining. I wanted to be on the safe side and get him some medicine in case it was pink eye (though I thought it was probably only an eye cold because he didn't have any red in his eye.....). This time he weighed 13 lbs. 10 oz.....he is movin' right on up the scale! =) He was very good for me. I took him alone because I think Liz had had enough of the doctor for one week, and I can't blame her. Fortunately we arrived right before the doctor closed so there was only one other family on the "sick child" side....I was very nervous to bring him to that side for the first time because I didn't want him to get even sicker! We got right in and he played with me on the table while we waited for the doctor. I could tell he was REALLY starting to look AT objects because he really enjoyed looking AT the camera as I took his picture (over and over....). =) It was fun to watch him! He is such a sweet little boy....and so cute! HE makes the funniest expressions!!! Dr. Cockrell was super kind as always and determined that since everything else looked ok and he had a little drainage in his nose and had been coughing a little that he probably just had a cold. However, we now know that he has a blocked tear duct and I am supposed to be massaging it several times a day. (Mom told me that I had the very same thing as a baby...) The next day Brody was fine and his eye was all cleared up--no more eye boogers! He still has tears that drain from that eye though, so I am continuing to massage it in hopes that he doesn't have to be one of the 8% that have to have it probed! I am realizing that if it's not one thing with babies, it's another so I guess I will have to get used to the fact that he's NOT perfect, but that with God's Hand, Brody will be taken care of! Dave and I love Brody so much and have to trust that since God made him, He will take care of our little boy, regardless of the situation! I am so glad that He is the Great Physician!



Can you see his eye boogers on his left eye? I love this picture because you can see so clearly what his eye color is! It's hard to capture it most of the time....wonder what color his eyes will be as he gets older?? Olivia is one of the few others that I know who have red hair and blue eyes! It's not a common thing..............

1 comment:

The Schmitts said...

I'm glad to know Brody is okay and that the hole is gone. I understand about the worry thing. The only "person" who needed to know already knew and had a plan for Brody. You did the right thing momma! See you are a natural:)