Our day together started off at Petsmart. We originally went in looking to possibly buy a beta fish for Brody since he loves animals so much. I know a fish is no dog, cat, guinea pig, rabbit, bird, etc., but it takes the least responsibility and start up costs of all the animals. We wanted to start off slow. =) However, after talking to the "expert" at Petsmart (she really was very helpful and had tons of info about betas), we decided it probably wasn't wise to purchase one afterall. The start up costs were going to be much more than we had originally thought if we wanted to give the beta the best life possible. I kind of felt inhumane after I walked away when I thought about how I first thought all we were going to buy was the fish and the clear 6"x6" box container to put it in. Apparently, even though they CAN live without an air pump, they usually only last about 6 months (if that) but can last up to 6 years in a regular aquarium with an air pump. Who knew? Now we do. So, we are still pet-less, and Brody will be fine with that. I hope he's not scarred for life that his parents didn't get him a pet when he was just a year old. ;-) We are trying to be wise with our money and our time...some of the unnecessary things will just have to wait.
But, while we were there, we had to visit all the other animals. Of course. Who can take a one year old into a pet store, show him the fish, and then leave?? He DID enjoy seeing the fish--lots of smiles and "feesss" (fish) were seen/heard--but the cats and gerbils and hamsters and guinea pigs and birds and lizards and snakes were more up his alley. =)
Thank goodness Dave and I had already made a pact a while back that we didn't need another cat for awhile or we would have walked away with this beauty! I believe her name was Violet, she was only 7 or 8 months old, and she was super friendly (we could tell by how many times she rubbed her face against the window). Brody LOVED her!! Look at these smiles!
Poor Violet had to be kept at the pet store though in hopes of some other wonderful family adopting her. I did feel sad leaving her though.
After the pet store we rushed over to the library for the toddler class that we love so much! We have been several times, and it's hit and miss on days that Brody ends up crying (more like sobbing) while we are in there because of all the kids/people. Today he just cried out in the actual library before we even got IN the class (wonderful....the quiet library seems to magnify his sobs by about a thousand decibels!). However, once we were in there, he saw Mikey (and actually said "Mi-keee" today) and was all better.
He races to the front every time the teacher brings out her basket of shakers.
I got one, Mommy!
He's getting better and better about doing a couple of the motions on his own with the songs. He really enjoys watching the other kids, and though many times his actions are delayed, I'm so proud of him for listening and paying attention enough to do them! =)
Lora and I with our kiddos.
Today they got beads in honor of Mardi Gras season here in LA. It's a huge deal here!! Seems like all I hear about in February are the parades, king cakes, and beads! Maybe one day we will be as into them as the rest of the "natives" here are, but we haven't quite caught the "Mardi Gras" bug... Brody didn't really like his beads either. Too constrictive I guess. Lol!
Pretty Tori with her beads.
He's so funny because now he takes off as soon as the door opens for everyone to head to the craft area. He's so fast that I can't catch him because he ducks through the crowd and I don't want to run over any of the kids while trying to chase him. Today he went right to where we were supposed to and just waited patiently for us. Really? My child? I was surprised, but thankful he didn't head straight for the books and pull them all off the shelves!
They made Mardi Gras crowns, and I kept trying over and over to get a picture of Brody in his "at" (hat), but he kept taking it off right when I put it on. Still not a fan of hats. Miraculously I can get him to wear them outside where it's "col" (cold) and sometimes if he forgets about it when we head in a store. Otherwise, no thank you. I finally got a cute shot of him before it was ripped off.
Mikey and Tori in their crowns.
Here's Brody's finished picture.
Since library ends right around lunch time, we headed over to Rollin' in the Dough to eat with Lora, Dustin (who showed up from work for his lunch break), and the kids. That's one of my new favorite places and today I got to introduce Dave to a place he'd never been. That's so rare. Usually HE'S the one to take ME to unheard of places! =) Their cheeseburgers are so yummy, and they have THE BEST cinnamon rolls that I've had in YEARS! The only ones that I can remember that come close are the ones from Grandy's when I was younger (gosh I really miss those...they had raisins and tiny pecans in them and they were to die for!!). MMMMM! =)
Brody loves Dave's big watches...
Mikey unsuccessfully tried to get Brody to wear his crown.
Tasting the fries. Not a fan of those OR the macaroni and cheese. He instead threw a fit. Perfect. He's still VERY picky and VERY temperamental. That's my son! =)
That evening we headed to Barnes and Noble to "get out of the house". I still find it amusing that when Dave is home from work he wants to go, go, go....that is SO not his personality!! He would much rather stay home and lay around. However, now that we have Brody (Mr. Active) he has decided that it's probably best for our family to get out and do something active. How come it took a child for him to be like this?? I've been BEGGING him for years to become like this! LOL! =)
While Daddy looked at the sports magazines briefly, Brody and I headed to the children's section. He loves to walk around in there. It's like heaven to him because of all the "boks" (books).
He immediately found a "Doh-ruh" (Dora) book that played songs. Two things right up his alley! We looked at that for several minutes til Daddy joined us again. Here's a video of him saying "Doh-ruh" and "Melmo" (Elmo).
36 sec.
I was talking to Dave and putting all the books back on the shelves that Brody had pulled off, I turned around and he had found another Dora book that he was reading nicely. He's so cute! =) Most days I just can't get enough of him!!!
Here are a couple more videos of Brody surprising me with characters that he not only recognized, but could also say! Guess he must watch too much tv??? LOL! Who knew the couple shows a day we watch (not only for Mommy's sanity while I am doing chores or cooking, but also to get Brody calmed down for naps, etc.) would cause him to know so many characters??
This one is of him saying "Meen Meen" (Ming Ming) from the Wonder Pets and pointing out all three of the Wonder Pets characters. At one point while we were walking around he brought me a book and said "Meen Meen". I was shocked!
32 sec.
When I pointed at "Wow Wow Wubzy" he also was able to identify him and said "Wow Wow" for Wow Wow Wubzy. Wow!
10 sec.
Back at home, Brody looked through his new book. He already knows "touchdown" and "timeout" signs because of a football book he has, so this time we will be teaching him "safe" and "out" signs.... =)
Daddy was very excited to be able to read his son a book about baseball! Are you surprised??? =) After all, it's only HIS SPORT!!
During bath time, Brody showed off an advanced "trick" of one he has already been doing for a couple days. He not only put one cup on each foot, but the stacked another smaller one on each foot. Impressive, Little Buddy! He's all about the "ups" (cups) in the bath tub these days, and on Sunday night he started trying to put a cup on each foot at the same time (requiring LOTS of balance as he lifted one foot then the other to place the cup on each--see below picture from last night for what I'm talking about). It's a pretty neat trick, and I'd love to share a video I have of him doing it, but I don't guess it would be "appropriate" since he is naked. ;-)
All in all today was a FABULOUS day as a family! I love times together like this!!!




















1 comment:
He is so darn cute!!! And, like I mentioned at Gymboree, I am very impressed with his verbal skills!! Mira seems to know a lot (shapes, colors, etc.) but doesn't say nearly as many words or as clearly yet! I'm so looking forward to that! I believe it's coming any day now!! Way to go, Brody!!! (btw, yes, we go to the Broadmoor storytime, too - but on Tuesdays at 10) =)
Post a Comment