Yesterday I decided that enough was enough! Even though I have had some INCREDIBLE days and nights with Brody, I'm so tired all the time from the many nightly feedings and the inconsistent daytime feedings. It's exhausting never knowing just when your baby will wake up next and want to eat. Some days I have an idea, but am quickly thrown off when Brody wants to eat 20 minutes after finishing his previous meal! After several suggestions from friends recently, I went and bought the book On Becoming Baby Wise (aka: "BabyWise"). Even though Brody did well last night to go down at 8 pm and not wake up again until 1 am (that's FIVE HOURS!!!!! YAHOO!!! It's a first for him, but I think it was only because we had a VERY rough evening with him.....he was crying a LOT and could not be consoled!), I have still had enough because he was awake 3 times after that wanting to eat. I have no problem at all with feeding him when he is obviously hungry, but I just can't do the "demand-feeding" approach anymore (apparently that's what I have been doing without knowing it....). Many times I think he's starving only to find out he just wanted to pacify himself. At 3:00 in the morning I am not awake enough to have a child using me as his pacifier! =) PLUS, I REALLY need some sleep or I am not being the best mom I can be. I get grouchy (ask Dave), and I just can't think clearly or without overwhelming emotion. SO, we are trying this today! It's a "parent-led" approach instead of the "baby-led" approach I was using before. Basically it suggests getting your baby on a feeding schedule of every 2.5-3.5 hours (hooray!), as well as trying the "feed/play/nap" idea to help them sleep longer at night (the goal being ALL NIGHT!). I started it at 8:30 this morning and while I have him to the 2.5 hour feeding schedule so far, it has been very time consuming and tiring. He won't nap like he used to so I hear LOTS of crying and have to pacify him in other ways (like walking and rocking) until his next "scheduled" feeding. I tried him in his crib for two of his nap times (like they suggest), but since he was only getting 20-30 min of sleep in each 1.5 hour period, I resorted to his carseat in the bathroom with the vent/heater going. I guess I am just going to get the feeding schedule and eat/play/sleep down first and worry about the pacifying him to sleep later. I only do what I can do! =) We will work on this for the next several days and see how it goes. I have heard lots of positive things from this book, so I hope it helps us get some sanity!!!
Oh, and he is doing a LITTLE better with the bottle, but PLEASE keep praying for us! I am so thankful for progress, but that is a lot of the problem with my exhaustion and feelings of being overwhelmed..........
Fall Carnival
6 years ago


6 comments:
Love you! Praying for you....this too shall pass....i promise....
So many people forget (including me) that the baby is joining our world, not running our world.
The first 3 months are the hardest. But once you get on a schedule things will get so much better.
Just think...not long he'll be running through your house screaming at the top of his lungs while you are trying to think (not that I am speaking from experience....like I am experiencing this RIGHT NOW!!)
I'll keep you in my prayers! =)
I read your post and called Jonah over to pray with me for all of you. We said "Dear God, Please help Brody take a bottle. Please give his mommy and daddy wisdom. Help them all to feel your presence! In Jesus' Name, Amen"
I mean, surely God will intervene with a 2 year old praying a sweet prayer like that!!!
You are such a good Mom! Good for you being pro-active and not giving up find something that works! I pray that it will work for you (I'm sure it will) I can't wait to come over to get my "Baby fix"
I love you and are SO HAPPY you are my friend!
I am so proud of you guys Cheryl. I agree with the previous poster that the first 3 months are the hardest. Hang in there b/c it gets so much better. Once Brody starts sleeping and eating on a schedule, you will feel like a new mom!! Love you lots and we are here for you if you need anything!!
I know how hard it can be but hang in there. You are a great mom and Brody is so lucky to have such a great mom. Just like I am so lucky to have you as a friend. You will be glad you did this though as it will make your life easier. You do have rough patches but you get through them and you easily forget about them all. Especially when you see all the great things they can do. I know I am amazed at my two babies each day. they are just so great. I love you and I am praying for you.=) Go get a slush or go to Dairy Queen to get a blizzard.( You know you can always get 2 large ones, ha ha)
Post a Comment